Preparing for a storm, for some, involves more than an extended stop at the liquor store. Vegetarian chef Dan Haag makes mushroom stew.
veggies: portabella mushrooms, onion, pearl onions, carrots, tomato paste
seasonings: olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper, vegetable stock, red wine, rosemary, thyme
3. Cook in olive oil until they start releasing juices. Remove and set aside.
5. Cook until onions are transparent.
6. Add 2 rosemary stalks, 1 tablespoon of dried thyme, cooked mushrooms, 1 1/4 cup of veggie stock and red wine (red wine first), 1/2 bag of frozen or fresh pearl onions, and more salt and pepper.
7. Let simmer and reduce for about an hour and fifteen minutes.
8. Add a little tomato paste to thicken the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice.